Baseball Quotes

When they start the game, they don’t yell, “Work ball.” They say, “Play ball.”

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good too.

The best possible thing in baseball is winning the World Series. The second best thing is losing the World Series.

I don’t want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it.

I swing big, with everything I’ve got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can.

Managing is like holding a dove in your hand. Squeeze too hard and you kill it, not hard enough and it flies away.

Baseball is the only thing beside the paper clip that hasn’t changed.

You don’t save pitchers for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain.

The saddest day of the year is the day baseball season ends.

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

Pitchers, like poets, are born not made.

I don’t care how long you’ve been around, you’ll never see it all.

When we played softball, I’d steal second base, feel guilty and go back.

You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be – in baseball and in life.

When you step into the batter’s box, have nothing on your mind except baseball.

It ain’t over till it’s over.

I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Baseball is a game of inches.

In baseball, you can’t kill the clock. You’ve got to give the other man his chance. That’s why this is the greatest game.

A hitter’s impatience is the pitcher’s biggest advantage.

It’s hard to win a pennant, but it’s harder losing one.

More than any other American sport, baseball creates the magnetic, addictive illusion that it can almost be understood.

Baseball is the only place in life where a sacrifice is really appreciated.

Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can’t get you off.

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.

I didn’t get over 1300 walks without knowing the strike zone.

I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.

The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love.

It ain’t like football. You can’t make up no trick plays.

There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.

Any person claiming to be a baseball fan who does not also claim to have invented the quickest, simplest and most complete method of keeping score probably is a fraud.

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks in batting practice.

My pitching philosophy is simple – keep the ball way from the bat.

A baseball manager is a necessary evil.

You can’t hit what you can’t see.

Looking at the ball going over the fence isn’t going to help.

Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.

People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz.

Baseball is religion without the mischief.

All baseball fans can be divided into two groups: those who come to batting practice and the others. Only those in the first category have much chance of amounting to anything.

You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time.

Hitting is 50% above the shoulders.
^ Scroll to Top